About Learning and Work Institute
We are an independent policy and research organisation dedicated to lifelong learning, full employment and inclusion. We bring together over 90 years of combined history and heritage from the ‘National Institute of Adult Continuing Education’ (NIACE) and the ‘Centre for Economic & Social Inclusion’.
We want everyone to have an opportunity to realise their ambitions and potential in learning, work and throughout life.
We believe a better skilled workforce, in better paid jobs, is good for business, good for the economy, and good for society.
We want learning and work to count.
Learning and work count because…
- We need more people finding work, staying in work and building their careers
- We need to reduce gaps in learning and employment for disadvantaged communities
- We need learning opportunities throughout life for stronger families, healthier people, more inclusive communities
- We need a more balanced and more productive economy
But there are significant challenges…
- Resources are tight – we need to make every pound count
- Productivity is too low – employers, individuals and government do not invest enough in training
- Worklessness is still too high – there are over 3 million people on benefits
- Skills and employment gaps are too large – we need to close them so that communities and people can benefit
- Learning investment is too focused on younger people at the expense of adults across their careers and in retirement
How we Work
Learning and Work Institute is a membership organisation with a diverse set of individual and corporate members including colleges, local authorities, third sector organisations, universities, businesses and iconic organisations in civil society such as the BBC, the Open University, the National Federation of Women’s Institutes and the Ministry of Defence.
Our members elect and appoint key members of our Company Board and other Committees. Our Patron is HRH the Princess Royal.