Best practice in designing and delivering pre-apprenticeship programmes
We have completed a range of scoping activities to examine best practices in designing and delivering pre-apprenticeship programmes that are inclusive for all young people and achieve effective outcomes with regards to improving access to apprenticeships.
These activities included a desk-based literature review, an online call for evidence, as well as in depth research interviews. The above activities informed the development of an interim best practice report, which identified and mapped the key success factors in designing and delivering pre-apprenticeship programmes.
We then identified 5 organisations across Europe that exemplify best practice in the design and delivery of pre-apprenticeship programmes. A number of staff members from L&W carried out deep dive study visit to each organisation where we explored each pre-apprenticeship programme in detail, speaking to providers, employers and young people about the programme, as well as carrying out observations of learning both in the classroom and in the workplace.
In October 2018, we held a successful knowledge exchange workshop which brought together 30 representatives from pre-apprenticeship programmes from 10 different countries across Europe. The event provided a platform for knowledge exchange among participants with four productive and insightful discussions:
- What are the most effective ways of engaging employers in pre-apprenticeships?
- Embedding basic, vocational and social skills in pre-apprenticeships.
- Which partners should be involved in designing and delivering pre-apprenticeships?
- How can mentoring and personalised support lead to inclusive pre-apprenticeships?
The key findings and messages from our activities have informed the development of interactive resources and tools to be used by a providers and stakeholders involved in the design and delivery of pre-apprenticeship programmes across Europe. The resource pack includes:
- an interactive guide for providers to design and deliver pre-apprenticeship programmes
- We also have 5 short films which act as learning modules and showcase different elements of best practice
- Top tips for providers of pre-apprenticeships
- Detailed research findings report of best practice in design and delivery of pre-apprenticeships
- Summary report of best practice in design and delivery of pre-apprenticeships
Stay in Touch
To keep up to date with this project and how you can get involved, please contact Nicola Aylward, Head of Learning for Young People.